Thursday, February 19, 2009

Savvy Supermom Outfit of the Day - $77 Coat, Coach & BCBG


This outfit was thrown together when I realized I actually had to get out of my PJ's and into the "real world" yesterday. I had promised my husband that I would drop off his clothes at the dry cleaners, and since that means I don't have to iron (for only $1.29 they launder and starch his shirts and that's a price I'm willing to pay NOT to iron...perish the thought!) I quickly threw this on and ran. Of course that may be why the orange in the scarf and the rose/orange in the sweater don't totally match. That said, I kind of like it!

The Breakdown.
BCBG Sweater (part of a twin set that I scored for $6 at the thrift store/ARP $125), a white tank top ($3 For Love 21/ARP $3), dark blue Old Navy cords ($5 thrift store/ARP $30), BCBG brown buckle leather pumps ($8 thrift store/ARP $150), Scarlett Blake leather purse ($25 eBay/ARP $200), Q.U.E. wool coat ($15 thrift store/APR $50), Coach wool scarf ($15 eBay/ARP $75).

Grand Savvy Total: $77
Approximate Retail Cost: $633
Savvy Savings: $556

Not sure where Q.U.E. is sold, but this coat is really lovely. The fitted shape is nice and the edges of the arm sleeves have leather piping, not to mention leather on the inside of the first 5 inches. Technically it was one of my Christmas gifts (yes, for Christmas I actually ask for things like eBay or Goodwill gift cards) but I figured I'd leave the cost in the breakdown today to give a better idea of how inexpensive it is to find good coats at the thrift store.

Many Goodwill coats are "white tag" items, which means they will only go 50% off when there is a half-off Saturday (usually the first Saturday of the month). Still some coats are colored tags which means they are subject to the normal color-of-the-day discounts. Sure, I have gotten good coats for $.99 but the really good ones don't usually make it to discount days because they are snapped up pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment