Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Sunday Splurge Saga...the end?

Remember the Sunday splurge from two weekends back? Well here's a recap and then "the end" of the saga. I say that tentatively because I am taking a small load of clothes to our local consignment store and that is a wait-and-see process that takes about 3 months, but since I'm not in a hurry for the cash since I've long since broken even, it's not truly over.

THE RECAP

What I bought:
Gap Twin Set - $3/ARP $60
Tracy Reese Dress - $8/ARP $250
Ann Taylor Shirt $2.15/ARP $60
Apt. 9 Shirt - $4.29/ARP $40
Levi's long denim skirt (NEW) - $4/ARP $40
Diesel Jacket - $4/ARP $200
SLB Shirt - $4.29/ARP $30
Lena Gabriel Skirt - $4/ARP $75
Totes Umbrella (NEW) - $2/ARP $10
Blue Chinese shirt - $4.29/ARP $20

Grand Total: $37
Approximate Retail Price: $785
Savvy Savings: $748

What I donated:
Amvets for a tax write-off of $50

Money made from what I sold:
$30 at the Plato's Closet for the clothes but I used $18 to buy two pairs of shoes, one of which I sold on eBay for $32. So, yeah, I could have stopped at the $30 in pocket at Plato's Closet and made it $7 for $385 worth of clothing, but the extra BCBG's I ended up with cost me $7 and usually retail for about $80-$90 so I was fine spending a little extra time listing the Coach sandals.

In a nutshell:
-37 (initial splurge)
+30 (Plato's Closet gave me for the clothes I got rid of)
-17 (spent at Plato's Closet)
+31 (sold shoes on eBay)
___
$5 Total Spent for almost $900 worth of retail clothing. At this point in time anything else I might take in to Plato's Closet or sell on eBay (whether the Diesel coat or the Levi's skirt) is money in my pocket!

Overall I would say the whole process took about 3 hours: 2 hours shopping at Goodwill on a Saturday (which is fun for me though it might not be for you:), 15 minutes to go through my closets and pull out old clothes & shoes, about 1/2 at Plato's Closet, and about 15 minutes to list the shoes on eBay. I did this over the course of a couple weeks so it wasn't much at all.

This is how I keep my wardrobe updated without a lot of cost. It's fun, it's easy and doesn't take up too much time, and the efforts are well worth the outcome.

Stay Savvy Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment