Thursday, March 10, 2011

How I got a $350 Mohawk Area Rug for $50

One of the things I enjoy the most is making my house feel like a home because as a home-school mom I probably spend more time than most in my house. And well, I LOVE being at home.

Over the past 8 years in this house, we've slowly filled up the empty walls, put up curtains and added pillows - all those "little things" that add up to coziness. I LOVE watching HGTV and learning how to re-purpose items to decorate our home. I'm willing to buy or dumpster dive for a ratty piece of furniture and repaint or re-stain it.

God has been gracious to allow me to update and accessorize our home. Like this rug for instance...

We put in hardwood floors with our neighbor's help when we first moved in to this home. Seeking to protect the floors and to add a layer of warmth, we also bought rugs. Rugs can be expensive! Most of my rugs have been in the house for the last 8 years and while I liked the beige wool rug in the living room, at 7x9 it was never as big as I wanted. We had bought it for $98 at Home Depot and it was the closest we could find at the time and since it lasted 8 years, I couldn't complain but I could look and I have been for the last 2 years!

I found this rug at Big Lots of all places. It's a Mohawk rug and I'm pretty sure it came from Home Depot or Lowe's. These things usually cost around $350. This was all wrapped up and ready to go for $150. Wielding my 20% coupon I was able to get it for $120. Then I went home, took pictures of the old rug and sold it on Craigslist for $70. So we basically spent just $50 out of pocket for this rug.

Now the rug I sold was a hand piled wool rug and it has lasted well, which is the only reason I was able to sell it for $70. I really wish I could have bought another wool rug to replace it because I'm not sure the Olefin used to make this rug will last as long as wool, but I've been searching for 2 years now. All the rugs I gravitate toward are $300+ and I'm just not willing to spend that right now. So even now I will continue to keep my eyes open for a large wool rug for this space in the hopes of finding one at a price I am willing to pay.

And well, if I do, I spent only $50 on this rug and I am sure I could sell it for just as much if not a bit more on Craigslist should that opportunity come along.

Stay Savvy Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment