Monday, April 26, 2010

Savvy Supermom Outfit of the Day - $21 and a little Broadway Music!

Shirts that work in spring/summer/winter and fall are just BONUS. This shirt is one that I like to wear under sweaters or cardigans as well as alone -with slacks and with skirts. The great thing is that it's "wrinkly" so that it doesn't need to be iron. It's truly a wash and wear shirt.

The Breakdown.
Sunny Leigh shirt ($13 Belk's Sale/ARP $79), Speigel denim skirt ($4 thrift store/ARP $29), Linea Paolo strap wedge ($4 thrift store/ARP $99 ).

Grand Total: $21
Approximate Retail Price: $207
Savvy Savings: $186

Savvy dressing doesn't have to be fancy dressing. It's a misconception to think that one has to be "dressed-to-the-nines" all the time. I want to be comfortable. I have kids. I don't need a pair of skin tight jeans telling me all the places I need to lose weight. I can't and don't want to compete with all the mini-skinny teens running around. Listen, Demi Moore at 43 is intimidating enough!

But I do want to make the most of what I do have, hide the stuff I wish I didn't have and be comfortable and look cute if possible.

Before I go off on a tangent of dressing to where you want to be and how you want people to see you, I leave you with this, one of my favorite songs from the musical Annie (yes, the musical, Annie). Silly as it may seem, it does relate to this topic.

I see lots of pretty Moms out and about during the day with their children. I have admired a lovely purse or a well put together outfit, but it's all pretty hollow when that Mom never makes eye-contact with the people around them or grimaces or makes faces at those serving them at cash registers or others just shopping in the same store.

Pretty is as pretty does, is an old saying, and I'm always quick to point out to my children that what you wear on the outside can never compensate for what's inside and how you treat others.

And so back to my Broadway Musical song..."Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile." If you've never heard it, take a moment and find it somewhere on line or better yet, rent the movie and watch it!


Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile
By Charles Strouse and Martin Charnin

Hey, hobo man
Hey, Dapper Dan
You've both got your style
But Brother,
You're never fully dressed
Without a smile!

Your clothes may be Beau Brummelly
They stand out a mile --
But Brother,
You're never fully dressed
Without a smile!

Who cares what they're wearing
On Main Street,
Or Saville Row,
It's what you wear from ear to ear
And not from head to toe
(That matters)

So, Senator,
So, Janitor,
So long for a while
Remember,
You're never fully dressed
Without a smile!

So please smile as you stay savvy, you never know who you meet during the day that just might need it!

1 comment:

  1. I never commented much, but I'm missing your updates. Its always so much fun to see your fabulous outfits.

    ReplyDelete