Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Savvy Supermom Outfit of the Day $28 and Confessions of a Supermom

Like any Supermom I have a list of things to get done that well, doesn't always get done. Thankfully with age and experience I've learned that not everything on the list HAS to get done.

I will say that in some ways it's easier taking care of household errands and chores when you homeschool. The best part is using those chores and things-to-do as learning experiences that not only help with various subjects like math (try cooking without it) but also help the household run more smoothly.

I watched an interview with Will Smith once and one thing that stuck with me is that he and his wife talk to their kids in terms of the "role" they play in the household. Are their actions helping or hurting the household and the goals they are trying to accomplish? I love it. It stresses personal responsibility as well as helps them see beyond just their own personal need. And it resonates with the kids, giving them a chance to feel like who they are and what they have to offer really can make a difference in our house.

For instance, when my 8 year old comes in asking to pick out her outfit for the day and we happen to be in a hurry, I am now likely to reply "Honey, we are all trying to get to XYZ in just half an hour, does Mommy stopping getting ready and helping you pick out your outfit help or hurt our goal to get to XYZ?" To which she usually grudgingly replies, "I'll go pick out my own outfit."

So what does this have to do with the Savvy Outfit of the Day? Uh...well...I'll think of something, till then, here's the breakdown...

The Breakdown.
Bitten seersucker jacket ($15 Steve & Barry's/ARP $15), Merona sweater tank ($3 Target/ARP $13), Red Camel denim skirt ($7 Belks/ARP $30), Mossimo cotton & cork wedges ($3 thrift store/ARP $25), Coach patent leather tote (Birthday gift!).

Grand Total: $28
Approximate Retail Price: $83 (not counting the purse)
Savvy Savings: $55

Well I didn't figure out what the preceeding had to do with today's Savvy Outfit, but thank you for letting me share a little bit. Not a day goes by that I am not thankful for being a Mom, even more so on those days when I don't feel so "super." Maybe that's why I do love trying to pull outfits together so that even when I don't feel like I've got my ducks in a row, I can still make my way through the world with a little lilt in my step because I know I am doing the best I can with what I've got...just like every other Super-Mom out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment