Thursday, March 26, 2009

Savvy Supermom Outfit of the Day - $67 Kenneth Cole Trench

Well, it rained ALL day here yesterday. The good news is that I got to use the little leopard Tote umbrella I bought on my Sunday shopping spree. It was also my chance to wear the new raincoat I bought a couple months ago at Belk's. It's a lovely Kenneth Cole classic black rain coat with a touch of flare at the bottom hem. It fits beautifully and it is truly a lovely coat but it was almost TOO nice. So it has stayed in my closet for over a month now while I tried to decide whether I should keep it or not.


It was on the top end of my spending on a single item at about $48, but considering it was originally $180 and it fit so well, I bought it. Funny, part of why I was so hesitant about keeping it was because it was so darn nice. I mean, the other coats I have aren't junk. I have two DKNY rain coats and couple other good name brand coats including a beautiful soft pink Gap trenchcoat, but the truth is that none were as "classic" as this coat. For the past month I've gone back and forth, feeling guilty and thinking "but I'm just a stay at home mom and I've got several perfectly good coats already."

Let me tell you, I'm glad I kept the coat. I feel so...grown-up for lack of a better work. Yeah, me, at 40, I feel grown up because of a coat. Anyway, it just goes to show you that Clinton & Stacie are again correct in saying that it's worth it to invest in classic pieces. I love this coat so much that I will be selling the other coats either on eBay, at Plato's Closet or the consignment store. I'm pretty sure I'll end up more than paying for the coat when it's all said and done.

The Breakdown.
Black Kenneth Cole trench coat ($48 Belk's/ARP $180), black & white Ann Taylor shirt ($4 thrift store/ARP $60), white tank top ($3 For Love 21/ARP $3), American Eagle cords ($5 thrift store/ARP $40), white Steve Madden leather boots ($7 thrift store/ARP $100), red patent leather Coach tote (birthday gift that I love, love, love).

Grand Total: $67
Approximate Retail Price: $383
Savvy Savings: $316

Today isn't suppose to be as rainy so I may not get the chance to wear my new coat again, but you know, I wouldn't mind if it did rain. I'd be feeling pretty sassy & savvy if I had to wear it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment