Friday, March 27, 2009

Savvy Supermom Outfit of the Day - $57 Sunday Splurge Saga Continues...

Looks like rainy weather has moved in and though it hampers some of our outdoor play, I console myself wearing my new trench coat and by looking at all the beautiful daffodils and tulips that are coming up all over the place. Spring is here and the signs of it are all around despite the gray skies.

The Breakdown.
Nine West top ($1 thrift store/ARP $40), white tank top ($3 For Love 21/ARP $3). American Eagle cords ($5 thrift store/ARP $40), Fossil suede & patent purse ($44 Belk's/ARP $190), Nine West brown leather heels ($4 thrift store/ARP $60).

Grand Total: $57
Approximate Retail Price: $333
Savvy Savings: $276

Remember the post where I got about $800 worth of clothing for about $40? I mentioned cleaning out my closet because if I buy several items, I try to get rid of several items to keep my closet edited down. I do this by a) donating some clothing, b) trading some in at Plato's Closet, c)selling them on eBay if it's in demand enough and d) consigning them.

This is what has happened so far. I donated a bag to the Amvets for a tax write-off of $50 and then I received $30 at the Plato's Closet for the clothes I brought it. So, left as it, I've just about broke even on the clothes I bought Sunday.

Of course I didn't take the full cash amount. What I chose to do instead was use some of the money for a "trade" which saves me tax, and I bought a pair of camel colored BCBG shoes and a pair of Coach sandals for less than $20 total. I'm keeping the BCBG, but unfortunately the Coach are too large, so I'm selling them on eBay. I'll let you know how much money I make on them. I don't do that often since items on eBay don't seem to be going for as much as they were a year ago. In fact I rarely buy something unless I am absolutely sure that I will make at least $20-$50 on it. It's not worth the amount of time it takes to list it. The rest of the clothes that Plato's Closet did not take because they were "too mature", I will bring to the consignment store near my house in hopes of making a little more.

Really, this is what I do to keep my wardrobe updated and without spending a lot of money. It's about trading in and trading up. I'll keep you posted on how much the Coach shoes go for and eventually, how much I make at the consigment store. That always takes a while but since I don't depend on that money, it's ok to wait. In fact, it tends to be a nice little something-something when I least expect it. I usually use that money for a trip to the thrift store and so the cycle begins all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment