Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Savvy Supermom Outfit of the Day - $37 Fabulous Forties & Birthday Blues

I turned 41 this week, and I have to say that I'm loving the 40's so far. Sure, there are those moments of "wow, these pants don't fit the way they use to" or the "what is that darker spot by my eye?", but nothing can take away the sense of gratefulness I have for what else I have earned at this age.

In the midst of the extra pound or two here and there as well as the extra wrinkle and grey hair I've gained over the last year, I have also gained...

a deeper sense of peace at knowing that life is not a race and that the list I have will eventually get done or won't matter as much as I think it does at the moment...


a heart full of thankfulness for the things I do have: healthy, happy children, a roof over my head, plenty of food on the table, a wonderful, supportive & handsome husband, parents & siblings who are still alive, amazing in-laws, and friends who love me no matter what...

a little more patience to handle my disappointments and frustrations...


a little more grace so that I am slower to anger and judge...

and a little more wisdom than I did when I was younger.


So I have to admit that the only birthday blues I had this year were the navy blues & teal blues in this beautiful wrap dress by Evan Picone that I wore to a studio session earlier in the day and to the lovely dinner that my family treated me to that night.

The Breakdown.
Black & Navy Blue Evan Picone wrap dress ($20 TJMaxx/ARP $99), blue tank ($3 For Love 21/ARP $3), Nine West leather boots ($8 thrift store/$125 ARP ), blue cashmere pashmina ($6 hospital sale/ARP $20)


Grand Total: $37

Approximate Retail Price: $247
Savvy Savings: $210

Since it's also FREEZING here in Nashville right now (sorry all you Northeners who understand that when I mean freezing, I'm just being a wimp) I'll also add in my lovely black wool Amanda Smith coat, which was an additional $10 at the thrift store. The approximate retail price is $175.


One thing I do want to add is how much I love pashminas and scarves. I find they help bridge the gap between being cold & warm when coming inside and taking off my coat. Winter coats are bulky and yet sometimes it takes a bit for me to warm up when I get inside. A pashmina or scarf or shawl is the perfect thing to wrap around my shoulders and keep me comfortable. Plus, I do love the little color it brings to my basic black coat.


I do hope you are warm wherever you are and that it's not too crazy for you during this Christmas season.

Stay Savvy Y'all!

1 comment:

  1. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete